Oscar nominated Rooney Mara and sister Kate Mara will be rooting for the Giants in the Super Bowl this Sunday to support their father who is the Vice President of the Giants; and their uncle who is the President of the Giants. Add to that their grandfather and great-grandfather were both owners of the team at one time … The sister have the same legacy on their mother’s side and the Pittsburgh Steelers … So how did two major football families end up becoming one? #footballroyalty
So the story goes — Steelers owner Art Rooney and Giants owner Tim Mara bonded over a string of bets at the racetracks back in the 1930s — the bets were so successful for Art that he named his son after Tim Mara.
Two generations later, Tim Mara’a grandson Chris Mara would marry Art Rooney’s granddaughter, Kathleen and they would go on to have 4 children — Conor, Daniel, Kate and Patricia — Patricia would later changed her name and become known as Rooney Mara, or the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Patricia Rooney Mara aka Rooney Mara is currently nominated for a Best Actress Oscar and is the love child of two of the biggest football families in America’s history.
== MARA ==
Giants founder Tim Mara children: Wellington Mara (was the owner of the Giants until succession to his son John)
Wellington Mara children: John (current President of the Giants), Chris (Rooney Mara’s dad, current VP of the Giants), and 9 other.
== ROONEY ==
Steelers founder Art Rooney children: Tim (named after Tim Mara), Dan (current Giants Chairman), Art Jr., and twins Patrick and John
Tim Rooney children: Kathleen Rooney (Rooney Mara’s mom)
Dan Rooney children: Art Rooney II (current President of the Steelers)
== ROONEY MARA ==
Chris Mara & Kathleen Rooney children: Kate Mara (actress), Rooney Mara (actress) and two brothers Conor and Daniel
THE STEELERS (ROONEY) v THE GIANTS (MARA)
While Art Rooney founded the Steelers in 1933 when the N.F.L. was still developing, Tim Mara purchased the Giants franchise for $500 in 1925.
The Giants became a successful team while Art Rooney took the Steelers through 40 loosing seasons between the 1930s and 1970s before they finally won three Super Bowls in five years in ’76, ’79 and ’80.
The Rooneys are the first family of Pittsburgh; the way the Kennedys are the first family to Boston. The five children of the Steelers football dynasty had to debate (and fight a little) over ownership of the Steelers — eldest son Dan ultimately got control and passed along the team to his son Art Rooney II who is the current President of the Steelers; Dan is currently the Chairman and the US Ambassador to Ireland under the appointment of Obama.
Art Rooney, Jr. was the director of player personnel at one point.
Art Rooney, Sr. also held some other family business which went on to the other children — one of them being Yonkers Raceway which his son Tim (the one named after Tim Mara) now owns and operates. Pat and John ended up working primarily in other family business.
Collectively the family owns 80% between all the members while the other 20% was bought in an agreement by their relatives, the McGinley family.
John Mara, Rooney’s uncle and eldest grandson of Tim Mara (and eldest son of Wellington) is the current co-owner & president of the Giants.
Rooney’s mom is named Kathleen McNulty Rooney, just like her grandmother (Art Rooney’, Sr.’s wife. She married Tim Mara, Sr.‘s grandson — Chris Mara. Their children are: Conor, Daniel, Kate and Patricia.
Older sister Kate Mara, who has appeared in 127 Hours with James Franco and other films, had a pre-Super Bowl guest role this weekend on Royal Pains.
Patricia Rooney Mara – named for both sides of her football family legacies — shortened her name to Rooney Mara after her acting career kicked off.
Rooney, in addition to being an actress, has an active foundation she started in Kenya.
#TruffleNotes: Film and television producer Steve Tisch is Chairman and Executive VP of the New York Giants; his father is Bob Tisch – former Giants co-owner