Brian “The Beard” Wilson made an appearance on Jay Leno last night on behalf of the San Fransisco Giants after winning the World Series last week. Brian – the most interesting man in baseball right now – carried the trophy on stage with white gloves and went to set it on Jay’s desk when Jay grabbed the trophy with his dirty paws (look Wilson’s horrified face) and proceeded to plop it on the floor (!) and behind his desk?! I know we are Dodgers /Angels fans here in L.A. but com’on Jay! That’s the World Series trophy!
So does Jay just not understand how big a deal this is or was it an oversight and he just isn’t a baseball guy?
He did, afterall, invite Brian on his show in the first place. But he also didn’t ask Brian a single question about baseball – or the World Series – even though the Giants haven’t won the World Series in over 50 years.
I did find this picture (below) in 2008 where Jay had confetti explode when Angels‘ legend Tim Salmon brought the trophy on his show … So he seemed to know the importance for his hometown team.
Here is the video from the show …
Now in Jay’s defense, let’s say the network set up the graffiti in 2008 and Jay truly just isn’t a car guy, and simply didn’t get it. We all know Jay picks cars over all other guy obsessions – and keeps half his car collection in the Petersen Automobile Museum’s vault. So I forgive this blunder but Jay – please – have a little respect for the World Series trophy! Think how many kids out there would love to have just stared at that during your interview with Brian!? Next time someone brings you in a World Series trophy, pretend it’s an Oscar or Golden Globe and set it gingerly on your desk, express awe, and then ask your cameramen to zoom in on it. The confetti is an appropriate touch.
Here are a few things that make Brian Wilson so interesting, since Jay Leno’s guest is pretty important too:
- #1 reason that his beard is 25 shades darker than the hair on his head and it’s strikingly odd and comical looking.
- #2 reason: he is the closing picture for the Giants.
- #3 reason: The Giants just won the World Series.
- #4 reason: He has a Mohawk.
- #5 reason: He has tattoos.
- #6 reason: He was finned for wearing organge (Nikes) on the field
- #7 reason: He responded to the fine saying it was due to “too much awesome”
- #8 reason: He was wearing Neon dunks on Leno
- #9 reason: Makes Youtube videos featuring his next door neighbor “the Machine” who wears only gimp attire
- #10 reason: Thousands of fan wear variations of the black beard at games
- #11 reason: ”Beard” idols include the Dos Equis guy and Chuck Norris
- #12 reason: Previous ambitions were to “Rule the World”, become an Underwater welder